Thursday, May 23, 2013

Dessert, anyone?

It's pretty rare for me to make dessert. I just don't have the self-discipline for it; why make something yummy and bad for me and have it sitting around my kitchen? However, yesterday at the fruit and veggie market I saw something peach-like and just felt like it was decided: I needed to try to make peach cobbler. But the compromise (and fun part) was that I was going to try to make it as healthy as possible. The result? Pure gooey yumminess. Here's a "recipe"...sort of.

I started by cutting up a bunch of little peachies (I cut them into cubes-ish). Most recipes call for sugar to be added to them, I added a little bit of honey. I made sure to keep all the juice that had leaked out while I cut them and between that and a bit of honey, it was nice and juicy. I let that sit in the fridge for the afternoon. I then used this recipe for the topping:
1 cup white sugar
1/4  tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup whole wheat flower
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
(the recipe also called for 1/2 cup butter melted on the bottom of the pan. I put about a tablespoon, next time I'll nix it altogether).
I halved this recipe because I didn't have the 4-5 cups of sliced peaches called for. I let it bake for 180 degrees Celsius (350 F). And it was really amazing. Next time I will cut further down on the sugar but I didn't dare because it was the first time. My goal (read: this way I can eat peach cobbler for breakfast ;)) is to use coconut sugar, thus making this honestly a almost healthy snack.

Okay so apparently I have had a bit of a sweet tooth the past few days, because I also made popsicles for the first time a couple of days ago (I made a spur of the moment buy at a store a few years ago and bought a popsicle mold for about $1.50- this is the first time I used it!) I was inspired by one of my favorite blogs, www.weelicious.com. Here's a link to the recipe:
http://weelicious.com/2012/06/07/fruity-lemonade-ice-pops/

I think the most exciting thing about these to me was the lemonade base: squeezed lemon, water, and honey! Brilliant! Again, not following the recipe, I approximated and the result was sweet lemonade goodness. We had some kiwis that needed to be used immediately so I plopped some little kiwi chunks into the popsicle mold and then poured the lemonade in and left them overnight. The next morning after some struggling to get those little pops out Dave had two with breakfast and declared them delish. A little sour and a lot yummy. Finn loved them too, and I'm excited to make lots of different popsicles this summer.

Bring on the dessert!

Do you have a favorite "healthy" dessert? I'd love to hear about it and see the recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment